Wayne “Penguin” Herbert becomes the second FOT’s player and third LMS Wollongong player to notch up LEGEND status.
From his debut for the Rock Lobsters in Kiama way back in 2013, Penguin has been a key member of the Lobsters/FOTs juggernaut. His highlight came in the 2018 Australian National Champs when the Rock Lobsters took out the title after going close in 2016 and 2017.
Penguin or “Geoff” as he is affectionately known to teammates is always up for a chat and loves to blow the top off a few cold ones before, during and after a game!
Let’s take a look under the bonnet and dive into the stats that sit behind this latest LMS Legend.
In a team that boasts numerous world top 1,000 batsmen, Penguin tends to bat around 5 or 6. His numbers are very solid:
* Games – 357
* Innings – 342 (bats in 96% of matches)
* Runs – 10,520
* Not outs – 143 (1 every 2.4 inn)
* Average – 52.86
* Balls faced – 5,717 (or 1,143.4 overs)
* SR – 184
* 100s – 1 (top score 104 off 41)
* 50s – 108 (1 every 3.2 inn)
Comment: Very solid numbers. Consistency is the key here.
Penguin was originally a reluctant leg-spinner. Over time as the numbers show below, he has become a very handy contributor with the orange leather.
* Games – 357
* Innings – 258 (bowls in 72% of matches)
* Overs – 731 (or 3,655 balls)
* Wickets – 213
* Average – 27.4 runs per wicket
* Econ – 7.98 runs per over
* SR – 17.1 balls per wicket
* 17 x 3wi (best figures of 4/22 (4))
Comment: These are damn good stats for any bowler, let alone a leggie that plays most games on syntho.
* Innings – 90 (keeps in 25% of matches)
* Catches – 37
* Stumpings – 37
Comment: Very handy with the gloves and a reliable back-up to skipper and fellow LMS Legend, Paul Marchesi.
Overall Comment: It's very rare to find a batter that has chalked up 10,000 runs @ 180+ SR, to go with 200+ wickets and 74 dismissals behind the stumps – Penguin really is the ultimate team man who can turn a game with any of the three disciplines.
Congrats mate on reaching Legend status in LMS!