Today we toast South African Legend, Martin Van Wyk (Player ID 23652), the latest in a stream of seemingly endless “ridiculously talented South African LMS all-rounders” to ascend into Legend status.
Debuting in 2011, Martin has racked up 321 games of LMS, 145 for COBRAS and 99 for Rebels, his current side.
As you will soon see, Martin has some jaw-dropping stats, so let us just dive straight in!
BATTING – YOU WHAT NOW?!
Check it man:
* Games – 321
* Innings – 317 (bats in 99% of games)
* Runs – 12,040
* Not outs – 169 (1 every 1.9 inn)
* Average – 81.4 (!!!)
* Balls faced – 6,858 (or 1,371.3 LMS overs)
* SR – 176 (or scoring at 8.8 runs per LMS over)
* 50s – 160
* 100s – 2 (best of 112* off 46)
* Scores 50+ once every 1.96 inn, which is the best I have seen when doing these up, which is a ridiculous feat in and of itself!
Comment: Has batted over 300 times and is not out in 53.3% of innings whilst going 50+ in 51.1% of innings, so each time he walks out to bat he is a better than even chance of scoring 50 and remaining not out. That is ferocious, especially given he scores at a tick under 9 an over.
BOWLING – NO ABSOLUTE WAY!
* Innings – 299 (bowls in 93% of games)
* Overs – 969.4 (or 4,849 balls)
* Wickets – 288
* Average – 18.0
* Econ – 5.36 runs per over
* SR – 16.8 balls per wicket
* 3wi – 22 (best 4/6 off 2.0)
Comment: All LMS bowlers would push their Nan down a steep hill in a shopping cart with a wobbly wheel for these figures, this much I am sure of (sorry Nan!) Economy is my favourite stat, and to go for just 107 runs per 100 balls you bowl is just amazing, especially given the high level of skill Martin plays within.
All together now:
* Games: 321
* Bat: 12,040 runs @ 81.4 – SR 176 [8.8], 2 x 100s, 160 x 50s
* Ball: 288 wkts @ 18.0 – Econ 5.36, SR 16.8, 22 x 3wi
Martin, congrats on all your incredible successes in your LMS career so far, and may the runs and wickets continue to flow for you for many years to follow.
Martin player profile: https://www.lastmanstands.com/cricket-player/t20?playerid=23652