Welcome back for Round 2 of the top performers from the last week of LMS (and some lads who did NOT have their best days at the crease!)
TOP 7 BOWLING ECONOMY (Min 3.0 overs):
Definition: Economy rate is the average runs per over for a bowler (so if you bowl 3 overs and concede 15 runs your economy rate is 5.00).
1. TRENT BARNETT (Long Jetty Lions, Central Coast, AUS): 2/6 off 4.0 – Econ 1.50 (also whacked 57 off 24, SR 237.5!)
2. ANGUS MACKENZIE (Passout Pearce, Sydney, AUS): 2/6 off 4.0 – Econ 1.50
3. MIKE WIDDICOMBE (Sloghouse, Pretoria, SAF): 1/6 off 4.0 – Econ 1.50 (also bagged 4 catches as a fielder, ruthless!)
4. JACQUES STORM (The Ducklings, Pretoria, SAF): 1/6 off 4.0 – Econ 1.50
5. DARRIN CROOK (Swingers Plus 2, Auckland Nth Shore, NZ): 3/6 off 3.3 – Econ 1.67
6. ERNST HEYMANS (Lazy 8, Pretoria, SAF): 2/7 off 4.0 – Econ 1.75
7. SAURAV VATSAIN (KAK Med, Western Cape, SAF): 4/7 off 4.0 – Econ 1.75
Comment: You can get hit for 6 off your first ball, the first 5 lads here conceded that many runs off large spells (and the next 2 not much more!) It does boggle the mind…
LMS_Stat pick of the week: SAURAV VATSAIN takes the chocolates for me here as the runs conceded are all so similar, so his 4 poles add to the devastation.
TOP 5 WICKET-TAKERS
Note: Sorted by wickets taken, runs conceded and then overs bowled. Example: A 5/19 off 3.0 will come ahead of a 5/24 off 4.0.
Note 2: SR (strike rate) is “balls per wicket”, and some of the below such numbers are utterly terrifying!
1. SAM COLBRAN (Clowest park cricket club, Wollongong, AUS): 5/3 off 1.3 – SR 1.6, Econ 1.88
2. MAT LEWIS (We’ll Bat First, Gold Coast, AUS): 5/14 off 2.4 – SR 2.8, Econ 5.00
3. NIKHIL POTTABATHINI (DDD Kings, Melbourne, AUS): 5/18 off 4.0 – SR 4.0, Econ 4.50
4. SHYAM VYAS (Auckland Rising Stars, Auckland, NZ): 5/26 off 3.3 – SR 3.6, Econ 7.22
5. DEAN FENNER (Boldova, Sydney, AUS): 4/11 off 3.4 – SR 4.8, Econ 2.89
Comment: It really is incredible to have this many wickets in a maximum 20-ball spell!
LMS_Stat pick of the week: SAM COLBRAN walks this one in for his ridiculous combination of wickets taken, runs conceded, crazy econ, and the fact he sent down 8 balls to take 5 wickets!
TOP 5 BATTING STRIKE RATES
Definition: Bat strike rate is the number of runs divided by the number of balls faced (so if you hit 20 off 10 balls your strike rate is 200.0).
Note 1: Minimum 25 runs scored.
1. JONATHON HUGHES (The Dirty Rats, Townsville, AUS): SR 550.0, scored 33 off 6
2. DAN MAY (HI-FLYERS, Wollongong, AUS): SR 442.9, scored 62 off 14
3. BEN BLACKWELL (Bowl jobs, Auckland, NZ): SR 433.3, scored 52 off 12
4. TOBIAS HANGER (FLAMINGOES, Wollongong, AUS): SR 433.3, scored 39 off 9
5. LUKE JURANCIC (Flamingoes2, Wollongong, AUS): SR 371.4, scored 52 off 14
Comment: The ability to come in and hit maximums and boundaries from the very first ball is a rare jewel in the crown of T20 batting.
LMS_Stat pick of the week: As a fan of ridiculous cameos, JONATHON HUGHES is irresistible to me this week.
TOP 5 RUN-SCORERS
Note: Sorted by runs scored and then, in the event of a tie, least balls faced.
1. WLLIOT WRIGHT (Chocolate Snowmen, Sydney, AUS): 111 off 55 – SR 201.8
2. STEPHEN BAYLESS (The New Crew, Sydney, AUS): 108 off 67 – SR 161.2
3. ALEX MEAD (Volcans, Wollongong, AUS): 102 off 52 – SR 196.2
4. ABSAR UL HASAN (Drifters, Auckland, NZ): 97 off 44 – SR 220.5
5. TOM KIERATH (The Short Covers, Sydney, AUS): 96 off 34 – SR 282.4
Comment: Some truly commanding knocks here, you know you are doing well as a batsman when your individual score can be defended as a team total!
LMS_Stat pick of the week: Going rogue here and going with TOM KIERATH for his absolutely ruthless scoring rate (14.1 runs an over!)
KEEPERS OF THE WEEK
– NICO PEENZE (Iron Titans, Kathu, SAF): 5 catches
– TOM STANTON (Kohlis Koncubines, Sydney, AUS): 4 catches
– JULIAN ROUX (CRAZY KIDS CRICKET CLUB, Sydney, AUS): 4 catches
– JAMES STONE (Boldova, Sydney, AUS): 3 stumpings + 2 catches
– JARRAD ARCHER (Honky Tonker’s, Adelaide, AUS): 3 stumpings + 1 catch + 50 off 30
– TROY BAILEY (Long Jetty Lions, Central Coast, AUS): 3 stumpings + 1 catch
Comments: Seeing these amazing efforts each week makes me really wonder where these legends were when I was playing…
FIELDERS OF THE WEEK
* MIKE WIDDICOMBE (Sloghouse, Pretoria, SAF): 4 catches in the field, 1/6 off 4.0 & 34 off 20
* MIAN TAIMUR AZIZ (Malangs, Lahore, PAK): 4 catches in the field
*JOHN SAVAGE (Sunday Sloggers, Ipswich, AUS): 4 catches in the field
Comment: MIKE WIDDICOMBE is my man of the week for his absolutely ridiculous contributions in each of the three main categories (ball, bat, field!)
THE BANTER CORNER
We have celebrated the best, now let us look at some lads who did not quite light it up this week!
* Bowling Air Mile Award
– CONNOR VELTHUIS (Mean Girls, Wollongong, AUS): 0/29 off 1.0 over
– NATHAN ROGERS (Broadwalk Empire, Brisbane, AUS): 0/28 off 1.0 over
– HIREN BHIKHA (Qrious Bunch, Auckland, NZ): 0/28 off 1.0 over
– YATHEEN BUDHU (Weir Velocity, Johannesburg, SAF): 0/25 off 1.0 over
– DAVID BATHMAN (Bombs&bumpers, Melbourne, AUS): 0/25 off 1.0 over
* Geoff Boycott awards
– KREETHAN BUDHU (Weir Velocity, Johannesburg, SAF): 19 off 47 balls (SR 40.4)
– SULTAN RAHIM (G B Sports Club, Bedfordview, SAF): 18 off 36 balls (SR 50.0)
– ERNST MARAIS (SBW Bandits, Pretoria, SAF): 5 off 19 balls (SR 26.3)
– NIC CURZSON (Purple Armadillos, Johannesburg, SAF): 1 off 10 balls (SR 10.0)
– MALCOLM SUBARMONEY (KAK Med, Western Cape, SAF): 0 off 9 balls (SR 0.0)
– TREVOR GROOME (Rusty Ballies, Benoni, SAF): 0 off 8 balls (SR 0.0)
Comment: Next time lads, hang in there!
LMS STATS SCHOLAR’S ULTIMATE PLAYER PICK OF THE WEEK
MIKE WIDDICOMBE (Sloghouse, Pretoria, SAF) is my man of the week for those absolutely ridiculous contributions in each of the three main categories (ball, bat, field!)
Thanks for tuning in and see you next Friday!